Friday, October 30, 2009

Making Etiquette Easy: Introductions


Experts say we form a lasting opinion of both people and brands within seconds. If indeed this is the case, introductions – and first impressions – are even more important than ever. I’m excited to build a lasting relationship with my readership, so I’m laying the groundwork for my intro in the pages of my blog. Allow me to introduce myself…

My name is Susan Karkoska Medina, President/Founder of Susan K. Medina Communication Strategies, LLC and the author of Bird on a Wire Etiquette Blog. Every week I will offer timely etiquette tips for various business and lifestyle situations to make etiquette easy and less intimidating. If you have an etiquette question you would like to see addressed in the blog, feel free to email me at susan@susankmedina.com or post your comments on the site. I look forward to getting to know you better and helping you create a polished, professional, and socially congenial take on modern-day business and social interaction.

For starters, here are a few key tips to keep in mind when introducing or being introduced in a business environment:

  • First things first, everyone should be introduced; this creates the right tone for a sense of inclusion. It is the norm for a senior-ranking person to introduce a junior ranking person(s) to their superiors or to a group. Multiple introductions can be made at the same time to eliminate redundancy.
  • When making introductions, always offer the title and full name of the person you’re introducing. You can even offer a brief and relevant piece of information about the person or what they do.
  • When making and receiving introductions, be sure to extend a solid handshake, look the person in the eye, and listen carefully to their introduction. These physical tools set the stage for a positive connection.

For more etiquette tips, see my column in the Fort Worth Business Press.

Making Etiquette Easy,

Susan K. Medina

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! This will certainly be one of my must read blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tara! My goal is to offer timely and informational etiquette to people on the go - making etiquette easy. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete