Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Making Etiquette Easy: I'm Sorry v. Excuse Me


In today's culture, we often mix up regret with pardon or visa versa. While most people are gracious enough to let it slide, it is important that we know when to say we're 'sorry' or when to say 'excuse me.' There's no need to take the blame when it isn't necessary, but it is equally important to take the blame when it is necessary.
  • "I'm sorry" should be used when there has been an offense, such as stepping on someone's toes or intentionally/accidentally bumping into someone. It is a passive form of expressing regret. For instance, "I'm sorry I bumped you in the shoulder."
  • Use the words 'I'm sorry' sparingly. Annoying at best, the repetition of this phrase only waters down its true meaning. When it is used incorrectly, it also puts the receiving person in an awkward spot because they are unsure of how to respond.
  • "Excuse me" should be used when you are trying to politely get someone's attention, attempting to navigate through a crowd, or when you are approaching a stranger to ask something of them . For instance, you might say, "Excuse me, did you leave your sunglasses on the boat?" In this example, you needn't apologize for trying to help them- even if the sunglasses didn't belong to the person.
  • There are some circumstances where these phrases are virtually interchangeable, and it is up to the speaker to decide which version to use. For instance, you can use the phrase, "sorry to bother you, but..." or "sorry to interrupt" in exchange for '"excuse me."
Making Etiquette Easy,

Susan K. Medina

No comments:

Post a Comment